Chemical and Biological Production of Disulfide Rich Backbone-cyclized Peptides
* Please be kindly noted that our services can only be used for research to organizations or companies and not intended for individuals.
Cyclic peptides can be produced chemically by using solid-phase peptide synthesis, enzymatic chemistry, or expressed in microorganisms using DNA recombinant techniques.
Chemical synthesis of backbone-cyclized peptides
Cyclic peptides ranging from approximately 15-40 amino acids long can be readily synthesized using solid-phase peptide synthesis (SPPS). It involves two steps process: production of linear precursor and cyclization.
Linear precursor α-thioester peptides can be produced by both Boc-based and Fmoc-based chemistry. The most commonly used approach for the production of α-thioester linear cyclotide precursors is using the 3-mercaptopropionamide linker (Boc-based), sulfonamide linker and 3,4-Diaminobenzoic (Dbz) linker (Fmoc-based).
The most commonly used method for the backbone cyclization of the linear cyclotide precursor employs an intramolecular NCL, in which the peptide sequence contains an N-terminal cysteine and an α-thioester group at the C-terminus (Fig. 1A).
Cyclization can be formed by direct chemical coupling of the Nα-amino and C-terminal carboxylic groups using uronium salts as coupling reagent.
Also enzymes such as proteases and trans-peptidases can be used for the production of backbone cyclized polypeptides.
 Li Y, Bi T, Camarero JA, Chemical and biological production of cyclotides. Nature. Adv Bot Res. 2015;76:271-303.
 Camarero JA, Mitchell AR, Synthesis of proteins by native chemical ligation using Fmoc-based chemistry, Protein Pept Lett. 2005 Nov;12(8):723-8.
 Jagadish K, Camarero JA, Recombinant Expression of Cyclotides Using Split Inteins, Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1495:41-55.
Related Peptide Service
- Recombinant Peptide Synthesis
- Oligopeptide Synthesis
- Long Peptides Synthesis
- Large Scale Peptide Synthesis
- Stapled Peptide Synthesis
- Glycopeptides Synthesis Service
- Custom MHC-peptides Tetramer Service
- Bicyclic Peptides Synthesis Service
- Custom Peptide Inhibitors Synthesis Service
- Special Antigen Peptides Services
- Multiple Antigenic Peptides and Dendrimers
- D Amino Acid Peptide Synthesis Service
- Peptide Nucleic Acid Synthesis Service
- De novo Peptide Design
- Peptoid Synthesis